ADMISSION AND LOTTERY STANDARDSThe Admissions Policy of Horizon Science Academy McKinley Park Charter School, HSAMP, is developed based on the language of the state law; hence the following statutory provisions apply: For a charter school authorized in the City of Chicago, enrollment shall be open to all pupils who reside in the City of Chicago who meet the admission policy. If there are more applications to enroll in the charter school than there are spaces available, pupils shall be selected to attend using a random selection process. However, a charter school may give enrollment priority to a sibling of a pupil enrolled in the charter school. A charter school shall allow any student who was enrolled in the charter school in the immediately preceding school year to enroll in the charter school in the appropriate grade. EQUAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY HSAMP does not charge tuition and does not discriminate in its pupil admissions policies or practices on the basis of intellectual or athletic ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, status as a handicapped person, or any other basis not permitted by Illinois's public schools. Diagnostic tests may be required to determine the proper placement in a subject. Such diagnostic tests are done to determine academic background of our students in a particular subject. OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD Spaces in each grade for the following school year will not be officially assigned until a particular deadline set up and publicized by the board of directors of HSAMP each year at which time Open Enrollment closes. ADMISSION PRIORITY To identify which applicants may be admitted for the following school year, an Admissions Meeting will be held at the school shortly after the close of open enrollment at a publicized date and time to be announced via the School calendar. At that time, other applicants, if necessary, may be placed on a prioritized wait list. If more students apply than we can accommodate, there will be a random selection from new applicants. Once a student is accepted, all applicants from the same family will also be admitted by grade based on the results of a random selection process if there is open seat in their grade level. Priority Groups The order of priority in which spaces for each grade will be filled is as follows:
- Students enrolled for the current school years who re-enroll on or before the application deadline set up each year. (Re-enrollment by the deadline applies to all students who enrolled for the current school years)
- Siblings of students currently enrolled, if the sibling applies on or before the application deadline.
- Siblings of newly enrolled students. When, at the close of open enrollment, one sibling is accepted into a grade that is not oversubscribed, or is accepted by lottery, any of their siblings are immediately accepted if the related grade level is not oversubscribed.
- New students that enroll on or before the close of open enrollment who do not have a sibling that was accepted, subject to space availability, which may be determined by random selection process.
- Any applicant that applies after the application deadline. Such students would be accepted in wait list order only if space is available.
- Sibling Wait List
- General Wait List